To meet our corporate goal of promoting financial literacy among our members, and in the community at large, Magnolia Federal Credit Union offers 60 to 90-minute complimentary workshops on a wide range of financial topics.
Budgeting & Credit Repair - Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:30 p.m.
Unless otherwise noted, all workshops are held in the credit union's meeting room at Administrative Building 240 Briarwood Drive, Jackson MS 39206 (Magnolia FCU Administrative Building behind the Main branch on Briarwood Dr.).
To register for an upcoming workshop, simply email your name, email address and phone number to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Budgeting & Credit Repair
- Basic budgeting
- 5 steps to a spending plan (how this is the foundation to building a good credit score)
- What is a credit score & what makes the number go up or down
- 5 ways to raise your credit score
Identity Theft: Deter, Detect, Defend
According to the Federal Trade Commission, identity theft is the number one consumer complaint. Learn how to protect yourself from becoming a victim. We'll discuss the steps you can take to reduce the risk of thieves snatching your personal information, quickly detect any problems, and restore your good name if you've been a victim.
Stress is an unavoidable consequence of living. How we handle stress determines whether or not it's a positive or negative consequence. You'll learn:
- Ways to uncover the sources of stress
- What stress does to your body and health
- Ways to cope with and reduce stress.
You'll also take part in a stress-relieving activity that will leave you feeling renewed and refreshed!
Take Charge: Wise Use of Credit Cards
You'll learn valuable tips about how to use credit cards to your advantage. You'll learn:
- The benefits — and costs — of credit cards
- How to build a good credit history
- The warning signs of having too much debt
- How to avoid credit card fraud
- How to find and read your credit report and credit score
Walk Before You Run: The Home Buyer Race
If you're thinking of buying a house in the near future, even in the next year or two, this seminar is for you. You'll learn about:
- Myths and common misconceptions of the home buying process
- Tips to shore up your spending plan and pare debt
- Upfront costs of purchasing a house
- How to find and review your credit report and score
- How to determine your own buying power
- If you're financially ready to start the process in the first place
Take the Wheel: Get the Best Car Deal
Thinking of buying a car? It doesn't matter if it's your first car or your 10th — the car-buying process isn't something most of us do every day. Find out how to save money and remain in control of your car deal.
With careful preparation, you can steer your way through the search process and drive off into the sunset with the deal that's best for you.
If you'd like us to email you information about upcoming workshops, or you see a topic listed that's already been presented, or you'd like to suggest a new topic, please email email@example.com to let us know.
Workplace or Classroom Presentations
Let us bring financial education to your place of business, group, or organization. Whether it's a set meeting time, "Lunch 'n Learn", or "after hours" event, we'd love to help your employees, members, or group create a budget, raise their credit score, or make a smart buying decision.
In addition to providing member financial education to adults, we have a commitment to youth financial literacy. Programs such as Check Writing Fundamentals and Understanding Credit Scores are provided to local schools and youth groups upon request.